We are seasoned professionals who are committed to make the lives of boards and board members more fulfilling by helping them serve their owners beyond expectations and contributing to their organizations with integrity, civility, focus and faithful execution of their unique role.
We have dedicated our careers to coaching board members to govern well while concurrently coaching staff for role clarity and accountability.
We believe that:
- Boards exist to serve their owners’ needs and interests. Boards have a role distinct from the role of staff;
- The use of a governance operating system increases exponentially the chance that the board can add value to the organization it serves;
- Boards should govern, not manage. But leading from the policy level requires identification of shared values written into policy and implemented with discipline and integrity;
- There is a very direct and significant relationship between what happens in the boardroom and what happens throughout the organization.
We position the board to lead by creating systemic accountability extending from the board itself throughout the entire organization, all focused on defined outcomes.
Our approach: Coherent Governance®, our own governance design, built to position the board to lead the organization from the policy level through clear direction to the CEO with equally clear accountability for organizational performance.
John Steach Ed. D, CEO - The Center for Educational Effectiveness
Educational career spans over 23 years in leadership as a Board Member, Board Chair, Superintendent, HR Director, Principal Supervisor as well as leading district communications and support services.
- Leading district technology transformation:
- Moving the district from antiquated technology to 1:1 student Chromebooks and teacher mobile devices with digital curriculum in 4 years
- Developing a district Personalized Learning Instructional Framework
- Defining and implementing digital content adoption and renewal cycle
- Implementing a Coherent/Policy Governance system with student results measurements for both academic and social & emotional growth.
- Implementing district Social & Emotional Learning focus consisting of district-wide expectations.
- Passing construction bonds and levies.
- Developing and gathering support for successful legislation included in HB 1599 to de-link graduation from testing to career readiness proficiency.
- Developing alternative educational programs to meet student needs.
- Leading negotiations and labor relations.
- Developing and implementing a criteria-based hiring process for administrators and a collaborative teacher hiring process.
- Developing long-range facility plans.
Education: BS in Chemical Engineering, MBA, Ed.D. Educational Leadership from Washington State University – Go Cougs!
Linda J. Dawson, Co-founder of CG and AGI
Linda co-founded AGI Aspen Group International LLC in 1993. Prior to establishing the company, Linda had built a solid national reputation as a speaker, trainer, coach and facilitator. She launched AGI following a 10-year executive-level stint with the Colorado Association of School Boards, where she directed all board training and development as well as developing custom services. Her work in that capacity became known and respected throughout the country, which led to her increasing demand for work in other states and internationally. Establishing her own company became the clear next step in her career path. Linda was selected and trained by Dr. John Carver in his Policy Governance® (PG) model, and used that model with clients for a number of years before creating AGI’s own necessary adaptation of it, Coherent Governance®.
- 30 years in the fields of leadership development, change management, public relations/marketing, and training
- Highly regarded nationally and internationally as a talented facilitator, trainer, coach
- Former teacher, central office administrator, agency public relations executive and state association executive
- Served on and chaired multiple civic and professional boards
- Published numerous articles on leadership and governance
- Intuitive insight
- Natural leadership strength
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex issues and develop viable solutions
- Keen sensitivity to human needs in complicated work environments
Dr. Randy Quinn, Co-founder of CG and AGI, Retired
Randy served as Executive Director of the Colorado Association of School Boards for 11 years. Prior to accepting that position, he held a similar position for 19 years with the Alabama Association of School Boards. During that 30-year career serving school boards, Randy developed keen insight into the behaviors and attitudes that contribute to effective boards—and those that do not. More and more of his association focus turned to helping boards develop the skills and attitudes that contribute to their performance. For him, a broader national stage made sense, which led to his co-founding AGI Aspen Group International LLC in 1993. Randy also was trained by Dr. John Carver in his Policy Governance® model, and later with Linda, built Coherent Governance®, their adaptation of it.
- CEO of two highly successful and influential state school boards associations for 30 years
- Written more than 400 articles published in state and national publications
- Doctorate and master’s degrees from The University of Alabama
- Former president of two state and national peer group organizations
- Skilled political analyst and lobbyist
- Visionary leadership, balanced with insights for practical application
- Astute political and people skills
- Ability to digest issues and craft elegant policy solutions