We are seasoned professionals who are committed to make the lives of boards and board members more fulfilling by helping them serve their owners beyond expectations and contributing to their organizations with integrity, civility, focus and faithful execution of their unique role.
We have dedicated our careers to coaching board members to govern well while concurrently coaching staff for role clarity and accountability.
We believe that:
- Boards exist to serve their owners’ needs and interests. Boards have a role distinct from the role of staff;
- The use of a governance operating system increases exponentially the chance that the board can add value to the organization it serves;
- Boards should govern, not manage. But leading from the policy level requires identification of shared values written into policy and implemented with discipline and integrity;
- There is a very direct and significant relationship between what happens in the boardroom and what happens throughout the organization.
We position the board to lead by creating systemic accountability extending from the board itself throughout the entire organization, all focused on defined outcomes.
Our approach: Coherent Governance®, our own governance design, built to position the board to lead the organization from the policy level through clear direction to the CEO with equally clear accountability for organizational performance.
Linda J. Dawson, Senior Partner
Linda co-founded AGI Aspen Group International LLC in 1993. Prior to establishing the company, Linda had built a solid national reputation as a speaker, trainer, coach and facilitator. She launched AGI following a 10-year executive-level stint with the Colorado Association of School Boards, where she directed all board training and development as well as developing custom services. Her work in that capacity became known and respected throughout the country, which led to her increasing demand for work in other states and internationally. Establishing her own company became the clear next step in her career path. Linda was selected and trained by Dr. John Carver in his Policy Governance® (PG) model, and used that model with clients for a number of years before creating AGI’s own necessary adaptation of it, Coherent Governance®.
- 30 years in the fields of leadership development, change management, public relations/marketing, and training
- Highly regarded nationally and internationally as a talented facilitator, trainer, coach
- Former teacher, central office administrator, agency public relations executive and state association executive
- Served on and chaired multiple civic and professional boards
- Published numerous articles on leadership and governance
- Intuitive insight
- Natural leadership strength
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex issues and develop viable solutions
- Keen sensitivity to human needs in complicated work environments
Dr. Randy Quinn, Senior Partner
Randy served as Executive Director of the Colorado Association of School Boards for 11 years. Prior to accepting that position, he held a similar position for 19 years with the Alabama Association of School Boards. During that 30-year career serving school boards, Randy developed keen insight into the behaviors and attitudes that contribute to effective boards—and those that do not. More and more of his association focus turned to helping boards develop the skills and attitudes that contribute to their performance. For him, a broader national stage made sense, which led to his co-founding AGI Aspen Group International LLC in 1993. Randy also was trained by Dr. John Carver in his Policy Governance® model, and later with Linda, built Coherent Governance®, their adaptation of it.
- CEO of two highly successful and influential state school boards associations for 30 years
- Written more than 400 articles published in state and national publications
- Doctorate and master’s degrees from The University of Alabama
- Former president of two state and national peer group organizations
- Skilled political analyst and lobbyist
- Visionary leadership, balanced with insights for practical application
- Astute political and people skills
- Ability to digest issues and craft elegant policy solutions
Ginger Hopkins, Associate
Ginger brings to AGI an extensive and distinguished record of professional experience with over 35 years in public education and in the education industry.
Having served as Vice President of both Northwest Evaluation Association and ACT, she has managed product development, marketing and communication, sales, support, professional development, government relations, accommodations, and scoring and reporting service teams. Ginger’s responsibilities extended to all 50 states and to more than 30 countries. Ginger is a key added resource for school boards and administrators, all of whom are challenged to effectively judge the performance of their students.
Elementary, high school and adult education teacher
Work in general, gifted and special education
School principal, grant writer and coordinator and assistant superintendent
VP at Northwest Evaluation Association and ACT
Founder of Sepati Ingera, an educational consulting company
- Speaks “board” and “expert data” language fluently
- Passion for students’ personal success
- Knows how to leverage data
- Deep understanding and appreciation for CG