Holding Successful Board Meetings
Eight Quick Tips to Increase Effective Meetings
Board meetings reveal a lot about the ability of the board to lead. From physical set-up, agendas, and behaviors to staying focused on Results. Here is a quick checklist to consider – with more to come!
- Identify behavioral expectations for members and hold each other accountable.
- Configure the room so members can make eye contact and communicate effectively with each other.
- Use Parliamentary Procedure to stay focused and give clear direction.
- Tie each agenda item to a governing policy or sub-policy, otherwise, does it belong there? Is it board work?
- Shoot for 50% of your time focused on Results – don’t devolve into an operational focus.
- Treat staff and any public with respect – practice active listening (consider professional development on communications).
- Limit presentations to 15 minutes and tie to one of your Results.
- Debrief every meeting for process improvement “Evaluate what’s happened; Apply what’s been learned.”